Saturday, May 27, 2006

House of prayer

After attending the men's breakfast this morning, which is an accomplishment for me being that it is at 7:00 AM, I felt like I should post something that was on my heart. God has really been teaching me lately that without him, I am totally inadequate. I hope that my life, and my church can be so dependent on God, that I truly come before him in prayer on a daily, hourly, and even minute..ly (if that's a word) basis. What does the apostle Paul mean when he calls us to pray without ceasing? Is that even possible? Well, according to my own human ability, no! However, when I am completely relying on God and dependent on him, I will be drawn to prayer.

I think of a passage found in all the gospels but specifically in Matthew 21:12-13 (in the context of Jesus cleansing the temple) "12 Jesus entered the temple area and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves. 13 "It is written," he said to them, "'My house will be called a house of prayer,' but you are making it a 'den of robbers.'"

If Jesus was so motivated to emphasize the aspect of prayer in His Father's house, why have I missed the importance of prayer in my own life. I hope and pray that I can reflect this principle, and that our church can reflect this principle as well. We are fallen, imperfect sinners who, only by the grace of God, have the ability to be called sons of God. Without him, we are nothing. What makes me so prideful, that I don't even consider his will on a daily basis?

2 Comments:

At 13:09, Blogger Matt Strader said...

Well, feel free to come anytime. We should be meeting every wednesday (with the exception of two or three) throughout the summer. Stop in some time!

 
At 05:34, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mattie! So sorry to hear about your eyes! Your dad has been giving uncle Steve the updates! hang in there and take care of yourself. you said something that stated that God is teaching you to be humble...I have another thought...there is always a bottom to the glass of your tought times, but the top of the glass is endless...keep looking up. I read it in Psalms this past week. once again...many congrats! love to you. Aunt MJ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home